Thursday, August 23, 2007

pea pods, tanks, and ADD

I'm currently working on the Pea Pod Baby set from Interweave Knits for a baby gift, using some delicious Debbie Bliss Rialto (100% superwash merino). For anyone who's thinking about using this stuff: It's beautiful to knit with and not scratchy at all, although it is a little splitty. I found a perfect shade of green, and the other colors in the line are soft but still saturated and not too pastel. The label recommends washing in cool water and drying flat or tumble drying only. I put a swatch in with the rest of my laundry -- in the washer on warm, and dryer on medium heat -- and my gauge was the same when it came out of the dryer. Actually, it may have grown about a half a stitch widthwise over 4 inches, but no biggie. The fabric looked a little fuzzier on the surface afterwards, but it felt softer and more fleecy too. There weren't any pills, just a halo on the surface. So go ahead and toss it in the washer. I think it'll be great for baby clothes. All the research on what kind of baby gift to make made me realize how different baby garments are from adult garments. There are garments that only exist in baby sizes that would be totally nonfunctional for adults. I'm going to explore this a little more and design some garments to knit for an art piece. We'll see... it may mean knitting NOTHING for myself for a while -- I don't know if I'll be able to take it! I'm making the drop stitch lace tank from Fitted Knits (Stefanie Japel's pattern book) as well, out of some Takhi cotton classic in blood red. It's going to be pretty hot, I think. That's if I can get through the back piece, the pattern of which reads something like "cast on x number of stitches. K2, P2 until you can't take it anymore. Cast off." Not the most entertaining. But the front is fun to make at least. I'd like to finish it before it gets cold again. Lace + New England winter = bad, bad idea.

No comments: